The Cheltenham festival (last week) marks the launch of the race season, and we all know that a day at the races means plenty of opportunity for fabulous headwear!
If you've got a trip to the races planned (particuarly if you're attending on Ladies Day) your headwear provides that all important finishing touch. A fabulous hat or fascinator will complete your look and give you a shot at the 'best-dressed lady' competition!
So, what shoud you consider when choosing headwear for the races? I've included a few top tips below, along with Ladies Day dates for 2016. Please do get in touch for more details on my bespoke service and hat hire, and don't leave it too late, I already have hats reserved for hire to be worn at the York Ebor in August!
- Make sure your headpiece is a flattering colour, it's worn close to your face so avoid colours that drain you.
- Choose a style of hat that suits your build and face-shape (you can learn more about this here)
- Be adventurous, if there's ever an occasion to wear a flamboyant hat it's at the races; but make sure you feel comfortable in your headwear and that it reflects your personality.
- Stick to the rules! Ensure you fully understand the dress code for the event you're attending, for example at Royal Ascot if you are within the royal enclosure, you must wear a full hat or headpiece with a base of more than 10cm in diameter.
- Have a 'practise' with your headwear and make sure you are comfortable with putting it on and positioning it properly. Genereally speaking, hats and headpieces are more flattering when worn on an angle and pulled forward onto the forehead (rather than 'plonked' on the top of the head).
- Plan ahead, if you'd like to have a bespoke hat made to fit your outfit, you should allow at least 4 weeks, and if it's for a big event like Ascot, many milliners will be booked up well ahead of time.
- Don't forget about hat hire, this can be a great option for race days. It gives you the opportunity to wear a really fabulous piece of headwear at a fraction of the cost of buying it!
- Have fun in your hat! Wear it with pride and take lots of photos!
Ladies' Day Dates 2016
24th May - Wetherby
3rd June - Epsom Derby
16th June - Ascot (Royal Ascot 14th-18th June)
16th June - Ripon
18th June - Redcar
18h July - Glorious Goodwood
3rd August - Pontefract
10th August - Beverley
12th August - Catterick
18th August - York Ebor Festival
3rd September - Thirsk
8th September - Doncaster